Tilted Photo crop and straighten

on Thursday 27 June 2013
Somes a photo is spoilt because it appears to tilt. There are a number of ways to correct a tilted perspective. This is one of them.
Step 1 : This is a photo I took with my mobile phone from a cab. I did not expect it to be a masterpiece, but I also did not bargain for this. The best thing to do is to throw such photos away. But you can always turn to Photoshop if you do not want to. So let us see what Photoshop can do.
Step 2 : Click the Crop Tool to select it.
Step 3 : Draw out a selection. You don't have to be very accurate.
Step 4 : Click on the Shield color in the top panel to select another color if you wish. I am leaving it at the default black.

Step 5 : I have reduced the Opacity to 75 % to be able to see the area I wish to crop and also ticked the Perspective box.

Step 6 : Keeping SHIFT pressed drag the corner handles in the direction of the tilt. See above.
Step 7 : I have dragged the corner handles in the direction of the tilt.
Step 8 : Press ENTER to apply the crop. The tilt has now been corrected. I am showing some additional steps which may be needed sometimes. Should the photo become taller, especially in case of a human figure, apply the following steps.

Step 9 : Press ALT+CTRL+I to bring up the Image Size dialogue box. In the Pixel Dimension change the height and width to percent from the dropdown box. Also uncheck the Scale Size and Constrain Proportions in the Dimension Size.
Step 10 : Change the Height to 80 % and click ok.
Step 11 : The height corrected image. That is all.

0 comments:

Post a Comment